The Federal Consumer Protection Bureau issued a final rule summarizing consumer rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act in 2019 when conducting background checks on potential new employees. Additionally, many states and municipalities have passed “Ban the Box” legislation making it illegal to ask about criminal convictions on an employment application.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has added to the confusion by publishing its own guideline on the use of background checks for hiring purposes. Wading through all the pre-hiring regulations has become burdensome for employers to understand their compliance requirements.
Even more perplexing for employers are the reporting requirements for adverse actions which require you to notify the applicant of a disqualifying item on the results of the background check and give them time to refute the results.
Couple all of this with protecting employers from negligent hiring and retention lawsuits and you know why many human resources professionals are pulling their hair out trying to be in compliance while making good hiring decisions.
This webinar will review the intricacies of dealing with all of the above to recruit and retain the best employees possible.
This webinar will concentrate on:
Why you should Attend:
- A thorough review of the Fair Credit Reporting Act in the hiring process
- When to send Adverse Action Notices
- Protecting your organization from negligent hiring and retention lawsuits
- Understanding the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission guidelines on background and credit checks
- What is “Ban the Box” and how does it affect hiring decisions
- Making it all work together
Maintaining compliance in your recruitment and hiring practices is crucial to all organizations. Understanding the rights and responsibilities of employers in this process is will actually assist the employer to make better employment decisions.
Areas Covered in the Session:
Who Will Benefit:
- Obtaining an understanding of your rights and responsibilities under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Guidelines and state and municipal regulations on Ban the Box
- Obtaining knowledge of the steps that must be taken in the recruitment process to be in compliance with the myriad of regulations
- Obtaining a better understanding of Negligent Hiring and how to avoid it in the hiring process
- Human Resources Professionals
- Employees responsible for recruitment
- Employees of recruitment agencies
- Anyone responsible for making hiring decisions
Bob McKenzie, has over 40 years of human resources management experience. His background includes a wide range of hands-on experience in all areas of Human resources management in all types of industries within the public and private sectors.
Bob has been cited in a number of Human Resources trade publications. Among them are HR.com, HR Magazine, HR Florida Review, Vault.com, BNA and the Institute of Management and Administration and the Business Journal. He has been a speaker at a number of conferences as well as audio and web-based seminars.
Bob is a graduate of Rider University where he received a Bachelor of Science in Commerce Degree and double majored in Industrial Relations and Organizational Behavior.