The use of this seal confirms that this activity has met HR Certification Institutes (HRCI) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.
This activity has been approved for
(General) recertification credit
TrainHRLearning is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®.
1-hour educational program = 1 PDC.
1-hour and 15 minute concurrent conference session = 1.25 PDCs.
3-hour e-learning course = 3 PDCs.
New supervisors will be ready to hit the ground running with the skills learned in this Webinar.
Be ready to take on any challenge, be your best and put what you’ve learned into practice immediately.
You will learn the skills you need to plan, prioritize and execute effectively each and every day. Putting into practice both the "hard stuff" and "soft stuff" will help you meet new challenges with increased confidence, respect, and power.
One of the toughest parts of a manager’s job is dealing with and turning around problem employees. The solutions aren’t "textbook", yet in this Webinar, you will gain skills and tools for solving problems and making decisions, especially when dealing with those who challenge you the most.
Why you should Attend:
By participating, you will be able to do more effectively:
- Understand how to approach an intact team as their new supervisor
- Develop your own management game plan
- Motivate your direct reports
- Coach for improved performance
- Think and act strategically
- Plan and prioritize your time
- Handle difficult conversations
- Listen actively and effectively
- Create a motivational environment using feedback and reinforcement to guide and motivate behavior
- Effectively deal with "difficult" people
Would you like to gain and build confidence in your ability to manage effectively?
What about your ability to motivate others who previously were your peers?
How about learning a management game plan?
Would you like your team to improve its performance?
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, then come laugh, listen and learn as Chris DeVany leads us all through those important topics, key questions, and answers we all need to be able to address effectively to improve our team members and team’s performance!
Areas Covered in the Session:
Who Will Benefit:
- Setting Yourself up for Success
- Understanding your new role as a supervisor
- Making a change or letting go: Working with the three phases of change
- Recognizing common challenges and pitfalls to avoid
- Meeting the expectations of key stakeholders, including your boss, direct reports, senior management, and former peers
- Motivating Others
- Understanding what motivation is
- Understanding what motivates each and every one of your direct reports
- Creating Performance Plans and Professional Development Plans that address individual motivation Managing Employee Performance
- Setting SMART goals for yourself and others
- Using a five-step model to train your employees
- Giving and receiving supportive and corrective feedback
- Managing Up
- Understanding and adapting to your manager’s style
- Anticipating your manager’s needs and fulfilling them
- Developing the best possible relationship with your manager Communication Skills
- Demonstrating active listening to show understanding and check content
- Asking questions that uncover valuable information and strengthen the relationship
- Great Performance Through Coaching
- Demonstrating giving and receiving feedback constructively
- Assessing your own strengths and development needs as a coach
- Asking questions that increase employees’ self-awareness and accountability
- Delegating Effectively
- Creating a plan for delegation and using this process to assign key tasks
- Overcoming your fears of turning over responsibility and authority Handling Conflict with Ease
- Knowing your conflict-handling styles
- Developing the right conflict approach for each individual and situation Managing Your Time
- Applying the time priority model to workplace tasks
- Managing and protecting your time to get more of the right things done
- Senior Vice President
- Vice President
- Executive Director
- Managing Director
- Regional Vice President
- Area Supervisor
Chris DeVany is the founder and president of Pinnacle Performance Improvement Worldwide, a firm which focuses on management and organization development. Pinnacle's clients include global organizations such as Visa International, Cadence Design Systems, Coca Cola, Sprint, Microsoft, Aviva Insurance, Schlumberger and over 500 other organizations in 22 countries. He also has consulted to government agencies from the United States, the Royal Government of Saudi Arabia, Canada, Cayman Islands and the United Kingdom.
He has published numerous articles in the fields of surviving mergers and acquisitions, surviving change, project management, management, sales, team-building, leadership, ethics, customer service, diversity and work-life balance, in publications ranging from ASTD/Performance In Practice to Customer Service Management. His book, "90 Days to a High-Performance Team", published by McGraw Hill and often accompanied by in-person, facilitated instruction, has helped and continues to help thousands of executives, managers and team leaders improve performance.
He has appeared hundreds of times on radio and television interview programs to discuss mergers and acquisitions (how to manage and survive them), project management, sales, customer service, effective workplace communication, management, handling rapid personal and organizational change and other topical business issues.
He has served or is currently serving as a board member of the International Association of Facilitators, Sales and Marketing Executives International, American Management Association, American Society of Training and Development, Institute of Management Consultants, American Society of Association Executives, Meeting Professionals International and National Speakers Association. Chris is an award-winning Toastmaster's International Competition speaker. He recently participated in the Fortune 500 Annual Management Forum as a speaker, panelist and seminar leader.
Chris has distinguished himself professionally by serving multiple corporations as manager and trainer of sales, operations, project management, IT, customer service and marketing professionals. Included among those business leaders are Prudential Insurance, Sprint, BayBank (now part of Bank of America), US Health Care and Marriott Corporation.
He has assisted these organizations in mergers and acquisitions, facilitating post-merger and acquisition integration, developing project management, sales, customer service and marketing strategies, organizing inbound and outbound call center programs, training and development of management and new hires, and fostering corporate growth through creative change and innovation initiatives.
Chris holds degrees in management studies and organizational behavior from Boston University. He has traveled to 22 countries and 47 states in the course of his career.