COVID-19 has upended almost every aspect of every business. No one webinar could completely educate a business owner on how to cope with this devastating pandemic. Join Mark Schwartz as he breaks down the most important aspects of payroll and H/R, as they have been affected.
We will discuss the bad news, the few pieces of good news, and most importantly, how to hang on until we return to “normal.”
In the payroll arena, we will talk about the important changes made to forms like the W2 and 941 - changes that help employer and employee alike report relief monies state and federal governments have provided. We will review the state by state requirements necessary to manage a remote workforce - for workers that live in one state and work in another. Instructions about reviewing your system in regards to IT infrastructure, access to payroll data, garnishments and more. Reminders will be given about what you need to know concerning;
- Health insurance benefits
- Employment Taxes
- Fringe benefits
- Sick leave
In the Human Resource arena, we will talk about the important changes in the I9 worker eligibility verification process. You will be updated about the latest requirements and extensions concerning foreign workers. You will learn what it means to provide a safe workplace when employees return to the office. Finally, Mark will tell you where to go to keep abreast of the important information your business needs to survive.
Why you should Attend:
Now is a great time to review what has changed, both short term and long term. So join Mark Schwartz for this informative 90 minute review of all the ways payroll and h/r operations have been affected by COVID-19. You will get answers to the following questions:
Areas Covered in the Session:
State and Federal guidelines on payroll/hr due to COVID-19
- Can you verify worker eligibility remotely?
- How have forms such as the W2 and 941 been adjusted due to covid relief measures?
- What are some statistics about how COVID-19 has affected small businesses?
- What changes have been made to:
- Healthcare and health insurance
- SSI, UI and other payroll taxes
- Paid sick leave requirements
- How do I take advantage of:
- Employee Retention Credits
- Payroll Tax Deferrals
- What other H?R and payroll related matters should I be thinking about?
The I9 process during the pandemic
- Latest updates on rules changes and extensions
- General changes for domestic and foreign workers
The remote workforce
- How to review and approve documents remotely
- What to do when remote workers return to the office
What COVID-19 has meant thus far for small businesses
- What states currently enforce a business “nexus” due to an employee living in one state and working in another.
- When the COVID relief measures no longer apply
- What it means when you have workers in other states
What COVID-19 has meant to Large Businesses – Things to Consider
- Healthcare and Health insurance requirements and options
- Changes (current and expected) to FICA and UI taxes
- Fringe Benefits
- Sick leave requirements
- Relief measures and reporting requirements
- Changes to W2 and 941
What other state and federal COVID-19 changes do I need to research?
Who Will Benefit:
- Impact on payroll operations
- Changes in staff and duties of a remote workforce
- IT infrastructure vulnerabilities
- Access to payroll data
- Garnishment, bank deposits and other adjustments
- Safe workspace and employee health concerns
- Payroll and HR managers and staff
- Health plan administrators
- Executive staff
- Payroll and HR consultants and third party administrators
Mark Schwartz is an employment tax specialist and has over 15 years of employment tax experience as an independent consultant and as a payroll tax auditor with the State of California. He has managed an audit caseload of 20 ongoing audits, from small home-based businesses to large multi-national corporations. He is expert at defining regulatory and statutory requirements from local, State and Federal government agencies; and helping the average businessperson understand what that means to their business. He has processed weekly and bi-weekly payroll checks plus tax forms for businesses with hourly as well as exempt workers, multistate operations and a wide variety of benefits.
Mr.Schwartz provides consulting services encompassing payroll processing and payroll tax issues. These include payroll tax minimization, payroll tax compliance reviews, independent contractor studies, use of electronic transfers, deductions, benefits, etc. Mark has represented both clients and the State in front of the State Appeals Board. He understands the complexities of local wage laws, unemployment and disability claims, and other wage and benefit issues affecting your employees.
Mark prides himself on his outstanding customer service skills. He listens attentively to his clientele, helping them bridge the gap between the small business world and Government bureaucracy. He eagerly assists with clients needs and feels that educating clients toward faster, accurate and more complete payroll processes provide the most value.
Mark is a participating member of the American Payroll Association. He earned his BA and MBA in Finance at Santa Clara University. He has held Certified Internal Auditor and Certified Investment and Derivatives Auditor Credentials. Mark is currently pursuing a Certified Payroll Fundamentals Credential with the American Payroll Association.