The use of this seal confirms that this activity has met HR Certification Institutes (HRCI) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.
This activity has been approved for
(General) recertification credit
Viewing this webinar, its entirety qualifies for a recertification credit hour that may be counted toward SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP recertification from SHRM. Credit is awarded based on the actual educational time spent in the program.
1-hour educational program = 1 PDC.
1-hour and 15 minute concurrent conference session = 1.25 PDCs.
3-hour e-learning course = 3 PDCs.
By focusing on the necessary interpersonal communication skills that are needed during these times of uncertainty and change you will be able to develop a productive, collaborative, and respectful work environment.
Discover how to effectively communicate with your team as they respond to challenges, and cope through change. Create a communication strategy that ensures employees are clear about what is expected of them, and they receive regular, honest, and transparent updates. Learn to choose the most effective strategies that will help your team stay engaged, balance the uncertainty, and build resilience.
Why you should Attend:
Successful leaders know that strong, effective interpersonal communication skills can create a sense of stability and predictability, lower stress and anxiety, and build trust and creativity. The key is to recognize what effective communication looks like, and how to deliver and connect during times of crisis and uncertainty.
Areas Covered in the Session:
Who Will Benefit:
- Key Messages:
- Everyone has a communication bias
- Every word has a different meaning to different people, and these are coloured by people's values and background
- It is difficult to get total clarity
- A leader can mitigate stress and the unknown with genuine, authentic, consistent, and more frequent communication
- The best leaders understand that their employees and customers can handle bad news. What they cannot handle is no news
- Communication with employees needs to be increased during times of crisis, especially with a remote workforce
- Even the most self-motivated employee needs more frequent communication, encouragement, and feedback in high-stress environments
- Communication with employees is a two-way street. Employees need both (1) feedback on their performance and (2) the opportunity to share their concerns as well as their ideas for increasing productivity and service
- Participants will:
- Focus on the various barriers to effective interpersonal communication during crisis including:
- Physical barriers, such as not being unable to see or hear the speaker properly, or language difficulties
- Emotional barriers, such as not wanting to hear what is being said or engage in that discussion, and how various emotions can get in the way of communicating, including anger and aggression, or stress
- Expectations and prejudices that affect what people see and hear
- Difficult Conversations, such as when you must have an unpleasant conversation with a team member
- Analyze what communication styles and persuasion strategies are your preferred techniques and evaluate what other strategies might be helpful in adding to your repertoire
- Understand how issues in communication can be based on differences in values, beliefs, and expectations
- Learn how problem-solving techniques can be employed to resolve conflicts and disagreements
- Develop an understanding for those exhibiting negative communications and behaviours during change and chaos to effectively meet their needs and move the interactions forward
- Human Resources Professionals
- Health and Safety Reps
- Union Reps
- Supervisors, Manager, Directors (Team Leads)
- Executive Directors Not-For-Profit
- Business Owners, Entrepreneurs
Beverly Beuermann-King specializes in working with people and organizations who want to control their reactions to stress, build resiliency against life's challenges and live healthy, successful lives using her S-O-S Principle™.
Beverly launched her company in 1995, and since then she has helped teams from a wide range of industries to be happier, engaged, and successful. Audiences discover the right strategies to improve their health, manage their challenges, and enhance their life’s satisfaction.