One in five will experience a mental illness at some point in their lives. That means that every person is likely to have a family member, friend, or co-worker that will struggle with a mental illness.
If you have ever felt at a loss for words, awkward, or afraid to speak to someone about a mental health issue or felt that there was more that you could do to support those in your company or family who were experiencing a mental health issue, then this is the presentation for you. Successful leaders know how to promote a productive, engaged, and psychologically healthy workplace.
Why you should Attend:
Would employees in your workplace feel uncomfortable speaking to you, their manager, a union representative, or a colleague, if they experienced a mental health issue? Over half of the respondents feared that making such a disclosure would jeopardize their chances for promotion and future success in their organizations. Research shows that this fear and stigma can have disastrous consequences and negatively impact your bottom line. Effective leaders know that the key to breaking down barriers and eliminating the stigma around mental health is in our ability to have supportive, honest, caring conversations.
"Fear breeds isolation. Caring leads to connection"
One in five will experience a mental illness at some point in their lives. That means that every person is likely to have a family member, friend, or co-worker that will struggle with a mental illness. Most people feel that they are lacking meaningful tools to offer any assistance.
This presentation will promote awareness of the symptoms, frequency, and treatment options for major mental illnesses. And it will dive into the most beneficial ways people can connect and be supportive when they suspect that someone is struggling. Knowing how to approach a mental health conversation in a confident way can help to ensure that those who need help are able to get connected to the resources that can really make a difference.
Areas Covered in the Session:
- It is normal to feel the blues during the crisis, but when that low mood or anxiety begins to take control and keep you from performing your normal activities, it becomes a serious health issue
- There is a mental health continuum that we all move along, and it is dynamic as we experience stress, challenge, and crisis
- Resiliency is boosted by garnering support from those around you
- Effective and supportive mental health conversations create a psychologically safe and healthy workplace where employees can thrive
- Recognition of the common indicators of a mental health challenge within their team is key to reducing stigma and creating a psychologically healthy workplace
- Develop strategies for supporting those experiencing a mental health challenge utilizing the A-L-E-C model for effective and supportive mental health
Who Will Benefit:
- Recognize the signs and symptoms that are signaling that your team is not coping as well as they could be
- Distinguish the signs and symptoms of major mental illnesses so that there is a general recognition of the early warning signs of a mental health challenge
- Develop an understanding and strategies for supporting those experiencing mental health challenges in order to effectively encourage members to seek appropriate help if needed
- Combat the effects of the stigma associated with having a mental illness in order to build understanding and acceptance in your workplace
- Utilize the A-L-E-C model for effective and supportive mental health conversations to create a psychologically healthy workplace
- Human Resources Professionals
- Health and Safety Reps
- Union Reps
- Supervisors, Manager, Directors (Team Leads)
- Executive Directors Not-For-Profit
- Business Owners, Entrepreneurs
Beverly Beuermann-King specializes in working with people and organizations who want to control their reactions to stress, build resiliency against life's challenges and live healthy, successful lives using her S-O-S Principle™.
Beverly launched her company in 1995, and since then she has helped teams from a wide range of industries to be happier, engaged, and successful. Audiences discover the right strategies to improve their health, manage their challenges, and enhance their life’s satisfaction.