The use of this seal confirms that this activity has met HR Certification Institutes (HRCI) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.
This activity has been approved for
(General) recertification credit
TrainHRLearning is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®.
1-hour educational program = 1 PDC.
1-hour and 15 minute concurrent conference session = 1.25 PDCs.
3-hour e-learning course = 3 PDCs.
What is Six Sigma?
Six Sigma is a powerfully dynamic approach to process improvement in order to do things better, faster, and at a lower cost. It has been applied to every facet of business, ranging from production to human resources, to order entry and technical support.
Six Sigma began in the mid-1980s at Motorola in response to the needs of a sale force faced with increasing customer dissatisfaction and competitive pressures. To address these issues, Motorola developed a set of formulas and tools to identify and measure performance based on your customer's inputs in order to increase efficiency. The phases of the Six Sigma Road Map are:
- Define Phase: selecting high impact problem areas and understanding which metric(s) will lead to success
- Measure Phase: document current process, validate its measurements and assess baseline performance
- Analyze Phase: look at key causes behind metric or CTQ (Critical to Quality) using tools to conduct objective experiments to id or confirm key causes
- Improve Phrase: a deeper look at key causes with intent to control or eliminate cause to increase or control performance
- Control Phase: sustaining the changes or improvements made with assured lasting results by implementing checks and balances to the system
Managers and business leaders with concerns about costs, timeliness, and quality of results will benefit from the Six Sigma approach. This training course will address three major challenges facing Human Resources:
- Being viewed as a business partner vs. a support member of the team
- Move from reactionary in nature (fill positions, deal with employee grievances and complaints) to providing proactive strategies and insight into the total management and decision making of the institution
- Respond to inquiries faster and reduce decision-making time by using a scientific approach to measure and evaluate outcomes
Unlike other quality improvement efforts, Six Sigma uses a specific philosophy, measure, and methodology to provide tangible savings that are directly traceable to the bottom line. The benefits of adopting a Six Sigma approach include:
Why you should Attend:
- A clear focus on activities and attributes that are absolutely crucial to customers
- The elimination of process variation and inconsistency
- Targeted improvements that provide the largest financial return on effort and can be measured by increased profit, revenue, and customer satisfaction
Over the last few decades, Six Sigma has emerged as the industry standard along with Lean Management techniques to tackle these and other issues (defects) facing Human Resources. This training provides opportunities through interactive online discussions to explore and establish best practices and answer real-life issues during the Q& A Segment of the training.
This course is to help students understand HR excellence through the use of Six Sigma processes and approaches. We live in a world of intense competition and organizations that can reduce waste and maximize their quality, efficiency, and rate of continuous improvement will attract and retain better employees and sustainable results which adds to the bottom line.
- Participants will be able to define what is meant by Six Sigma and how it can be applied to the HR process in a short amount of time
- Participants will be able to identify areas of defects in their HR processes and implement the five major components of Six Sigma and understand why HR professionals should adopt these strategies
- Participants will be able to leave with a template and complete an actual Six Sigma project as part of their competencies in establishing, implementing, and evaluating a Six Sigma project
- In order for participants to excel, they should have some basic knowledge of computer applications such as Excel and be able to commit to completing a Six Sigma Project
When participants complete the training course, they will be ready to start a basic Six Sigma project and know how to use the tools to gather data, how to interpret the data and sustain efficiency in their process of 70 percent or better.
Who Will Benefit:
- Be applied to the HR process in a short amount of time
- Participants will be able to implement the five major components of Six Sigma and understand why HR professional should adopt these strategies
- Participants will be able to leave with a template to use and three real-life case studies to review in establishing, implementing, modifying, and evaluating a Six Sigma strategy
- Participants will be able to identify areas of defects in their HR processes and implement the five major components of Six Sigma and understand why HR professional should adopt these strategies
- Those with Human Resources Responsibilities
Lyman A. Montgomery has over twenty- five years of HR experience in Employee Relations dealing with workplace issues and performance management. He is currently writing his dissertation for his Ph.D. in the area of focused employee engagement and sustained performance. Lyman is the president and CEO of Focused Driven Lifestyle Coaching, LLC. He is the author of five books, two of which are bestsellers and conducts workshops and seminars at conferences all over the United States.